Sunday 14 June 2009

Indaeschna grubaueri

Anisoptera
Species Name: Indaeschna grubaueri
Family: Aeshnidae
Male resting beside pond
Members of the family Aeshnidae are the gaints of the Odonata and this is one of the largest of the gaints. This is the second time that I've seen and photographed this species at the very same pond at the edge of a forest reserve near Lahad Datu town. The first time was in 2006 when I saw a male resting on vegetation at the side of the pond, and today I was fortunate enough to see this huge female ovipositing at this pond. Interestingly she was laying her eggs in the moist soil just above the water. This species is also known to lay its eggs in water-filled tree holes and on buttress cavities of large trees.
Female on the wing
Females of I. grubaueri have hindwings that measure up to 68mm while males are thinner and smaller with 59-62mm long hindwings. Both sexes are similarly coloured with bright lime-green markings on the thorax and wide bands on the abdomen.

Female ovipositing on wet soil above water line

This species is said to be widespread in lowland forest in Sundaland and the Philippines.

11 comments:

C.Y. Choong said...

I like the flying grubaueri..... fantastic! You managed to capture it with your camera and it is so sharp!

合田學 (上坂眞信)  said...

Hello.
It is the season of the long-awaited dragonfly.
A great number of dragonflies appear every day.

spookydragonfly said...

Last year I witnessed my Darners ovipositing on ponds'edge as well as among trees! I was able to capture those images, BUT...your images are clear and sharp! Wonderful captures, Joe!

Dragonchaser said...

Thanks for comments, all. I guess I was just lucky when this big female flew in front of me and hovered around for a few moments looking for a suitable site to deposit her eggs. She then just simply disappeared after completing her task.

matinggeckos said...

Nice flight shot!!

Randy Emmitt said...

Very impressive looking bug! Darners are so hard to get photos of too. Saw several blue darners while at Yosemite National Park, but never nabbed any photos.

Amila Salgado said...

It does look a biggie. We do not have any representative of that genus. I have not had any luck with Darners, so far.

rainfield61 said...

Vety interesting site introduced to me by Gallicissa.

I shall gain a lot from you.

Life in Egypt said...

They are not insects they are dragons or damsels.
wonderful capturers of them, I just wish the ones here in Egypt would sit long enough to get photos like yours.

Kurt (OrionMystery) said...

Very nice DIF shot :)

osma said...


Hello Everybody,
My name is Ahmad Asnul Brunei, I contacted Mr Osman Loan Firm for a business loan amount of $250,000, Then i was told about the step of approving my requested loan amount, after taking the risk again because i was so much desperate of setting up a business to my greatest surprise, the loan amount was credited to my bank account within 24 banking hours without any stress of getting my loan. I was surprise because i was first fall a victim of scam! If you are interested of securing any loan amount & you are located in any country, I'll advise you can contact Mr Osman Loan Firm via email osmanloanserves@gmail.com

LOAN APPLICATION INFORMATION FORM
First name......
Middle name.....
2) Gender:.........
3) Loan Amount Needed:.........
4) Loan Duration:.........
5) Country:.........
6) Home Address:.........
7) Mobile Number:.........
8) Email address..........
9) Monthly Income:.....................
10) Occupation:...........................
11)Which site did you here about us.....................
Thanks and Best Regards.
Derek Email osmanloanserves@gmail.com